If You're Homeless or Need Help

If you are homeless, at risk of becoming homeless, or know someone that is homeless, help is available. Find your county below to find out the options available for you.

Documentation required for housing: Eviction notice, or letter stating that you can no longer reside at that address, Photo ID, SS card, Birth Certificate, and proof of any income.

Nassau CountySuffolk CountyNYC Resident

Bethany House Emergency Number
(516) 868-6866

DSS Emergency Number

  • Monday to Friday during the hours of 9:00 am to 4:45 pm (516) 227-8395.
  • Weekdays, and on weekends and holidays during the hours of 6 pm to 8 am (516) 573-8626.

A full range of informational services is provided by the Information, Resource and Referral Services Unit to all residents of Nassau County; including immediate crisis and emergency intervention.

That includes homelessness, domestic violence, child or elder abuse, Medicaid, Food Stamps, employment, and fuel services.

A referral to this unit may be made by mail to our Department at:

60 Charles Lindbergh Blvd.
Uniondale, New York 11553-3656
(516) 227-8395

  • We have staff available by phone Mondays to Fridays during the hours of 9:00 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. Please call (516) 227-8395. Walk-ins are welcome Mondays to Fridays from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
  • Emergency services are available at night from 6 p.m. to 8 a.m. on weekdays, and on weekends and holidays by calling (516) 573-8626 and provide services. A caseworker will be ready to assist you, and confidentiality is assured and protected.

For more information visit the following website:

Emergency Number
(631) 854-9963

  • At night (after 4:30 pm) or during weekends, call Emergency Services at: (631) 854-9100.
  • Persons who are homeless or in danger of becoming homeless should apply for assistance at a Social Services Center.
  • Persons who currently have housing, even temporary housing, should apply at their nearest local Center that serves that area.

For more information visit the following website:

DHS Main Number
(212) 361-8000
Please call the main number to be directed to the appropriate office.

For more information visit the following website: